PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin confirm 23 Boeing 737-8 max aircraft ordered
Old 8th Jul 2012, 00:36
unseen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterC01
I can only assume from your post that the 737 is the first and only jet you've flown.
It is the smallest jet I have flown, from both Airbus and Boeing.

Don't get me wrong I like the 737. It's very good at doing what it's designed to do.
Exactly my point.

But it's flight deck is an insult to logic, technology, efficiency, ergonomics and common sense.
So what? It does the job very well and very efficiently.

If you want to see how a real flight deck should look and you ever have the opportunity strap yourself into an MD-11, I highly recommend it. It's almost like someone took the best aspects of Boeing and Airbus and stuck them together into one super sexy awesome 3 holer machine. The automation and system integration of Airbus, with the conventional control system and pilot awareness/logic of Boeing. And it was designed in the early eighties. McDonald Douglas sure knew how to build a plane, so of course they had to be the aircraft manufacturer to go out of business. Great product, lousy management. Now where have I seen that before!
That must be why we see so many of them in operation around the traps. I have not flown the MD11 but have heard lots of people talk about its "interesting" handling in the flare and landing.

I know the 73's flightdeck is not pretty, but it works, it is safe, and it does the job very well.

In short haul, high frequency ops, simple beats complicated.

Don't confuse awesome displays and complicated systems with its ability at doing the job at hand, that's all I am saying!