PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2002, 16:50
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMMmmmiles Aircraft

Plenty of exposure for Miles Falcon G-AEEG, Miles Magister G-AKPF and Miles Messenger G-AKBO over the past year, principally Pilot Nov. 02 and FlyPast (current issue) Feb03.

Miles built thousands of aircraft - Magisters alone numbered more than 1200 yet only 3 or 4 remain in airworthy or potentially airworthy condition.

Miles Monarch at White Waltham - This is owned by Dr. Ian Dalziel. For some extraordinary reason he seems happy to allow it to rot away in the black hangar rather than sell it to somebody who will ensure is salvation.

The same, to a lesser extent maybe, is true of Bob Mitchel's Monarch and Whitney Straight that languish in a shed somewhere at Cosford.

Can I appeal to all out there who may have the inside track on these 2 guys?

Despite what both might say, neither will do anything to restore their aircraft to airworthy condition.

Unfortunately, unlike fine wines, old wooden planes definately do not improve with age in a dark damp environment.

The RAF reserve collection has a Miles Hawk trainer. It has no RAF history yet wears a spurious camouflage scheme.

It has deteriorated significantly over the years.

What use is it to them?

Why don't they sell it and put the cash towards one of their many restoration projects?

I am keen to save old Miles Aircraft for posterity. Any help will be appreciated.

If anybody has any old photos, anecdotes etc. relative to the Falcon and Maggie I shall be keen to hear from them.

HP