PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to stay awake?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2012, 14:46
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that melatonin is a natural hormone, but by taking it as a supplement, you are increasing on the amount that your body naturally produces. Hence the possible side-effects I mentioned - something I could have made clearer. (Btw, the pharmaceutical industry is nowhere near as developped or powerful here as in the US, Switzerland or Germany, and our health policy now favours cheaper generic drugs). Sleeping aids should be prescribed/recommended/reviewed by an Aviation Medical Examiner, not just any General Practitioner (since a lot of them are not clued up as to the specifics of our job). However, I share your point 100% regarding bloated bureaucracy...

It's certainly the common-sense "lifestyle" habits that have the greatest impact on my capacity to sleep and recover. That, and generally taking it easy... Regarding lavender oil on the pillowcase, it didn't seem to hurt when I tried it - at least it smells nice! Then again, I'm usually asleep before my head hits the pillow...

Cheers

(P.S.: I don't find VFR in France harder than in the US or South Africa, and much easier than in the UK for instance!)

Last edited by FougaMagister; 7th Jul 2012 at 22:38.