PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to stay awake?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2012, 12:12
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be VERY wary of using melatonin for sleep regulation. As mentioned above, it will only "work" with regular sleeping patterns - usually not the case for us. Plus have you guys seriously looked at the long list of side effects? It's enough to make you think twice... btw it includes detrimental effects on your testicles! So thanks, but no thanks... These counter-indications are just some of the reasons why melatonin is so tightly regulated over here. Can't get it over the counter, and docs will usually not prescribe it except in very specific circumstances. Just as well.

Anyway, back to the topic... Some of my tricks to stay awake:

- have a good quality of life outside work, ie do not stay up all night on days off etc.
- eat healthily (with reason )
- exercise - with reason: when downroute, enough to feel well, but not so much as to feel tired again
- take a nap before the first night of a shift (the first flying night is invariably the hardest)
- no alarm clock before less than 8hrs sleep downroute. If I naturally wake earlier, then so be it, but if my body needs a lot of sleep, I'll let it have it
- drink a lot (water/fruit juices, but not too much coffee)
- get fully rested; while sleep cannot be "stored" in advance, I try to be 100% rested before going flying - that may include a nap before report time
- controlled sleep in flight during sectors that cover the WOCL; ie, don't fight sleep (but leave the audio volume up on Guard on box 2 in case the other pilot falls asleep)
- try to rest/sleep for a while (even if only 30-45min) in a dark/quiet room at the hub during turnaround
- drink water during flights
- stand up sometimes to stretch my legs and/or go the freezing hold
- reasonable cockpit temp, slightly on the fresh side
- have a chewing gum at Top of Descent. Chewing keeps you awake - but digesting doesn't, so I don't eat cereal bars or the like. Some small amount of fruit can help too. Never heard of anyone falling asleep while chewing gum...
- if PNF, keep busy: do fuel checks, pick up VOLMET/ATIS en-route, look up the IFR charts, read the airport brief and/or approach charts yet again, or a chapter from some manual in the cockpit library - but one that won't put you to sleep!

Cheers