PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I trust Nigerian Corporate Jet flying Companies to Pay for Contract Pilots?
Old 7th Jul 2012, 10:29
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody has a point

The bottom line is that most expat corporate pilots in Nigeria are getting a good deal, FULL STOP. There are two sides to a coin, you have to put the two together to get the full picture.
Nigeria has it challenges,but i'm sure most were aware before they signed the dotted line. A lot of pilots coming to Nigeria were either on food stamps or came from jobs were they were paid far far less than what they are getting now. There are other perks,e.g. rotation. A lot of guys get more days home than they would get if they were working at home. And then there's "dash" money, the dash money a lot of corporate pilots is in excess of their salaries. Most pilots ahve good accomodation, transport arrangements and per diems. Many will be quick to complain about he security situation so I find it hard to reconcile the fact the same individuals dont have any qualms hanging out in the dodgiest hangouts until the wee hours of the morning.
Nigeria (and not necessarily Nigerians) is a corrupt place. Every single corrupt transaction of a significant value in Nigerian must have an oyinbo involved. There is an unwritten rule that when you are going bidding for a govt contract (99% of which involve massive corruption) you must have an "öyinbo" on your team to be taken seriously.
At the moment, most owners prefer expat pilots over Nigerians because they want to keep their secrets away from Nigerians (I have this on authority from a/c owners with total aviation assets in excess of $200m). There's a lot of illegality in the nigerian corporate sector e.g. illegal charters, money laundering, immigration violations, smuggling, etc.
An interesting fact to note: most (+75%) of the pilots that left the airline which is the biggest employer of expat pilots in Nigeria have applied to come back. The airline went through a bad financial spell and salaries were late. Most left for the "first world" and yet they have still applied to come back to malaria-infested Nigeria, including some of the posters who were very vocal on the pprune thread.
Anywhere you go in the world there will be dodgy operators. some guys get the wrong end of the stick. i dont know much about tradecraft so i cant vouch for them.
Another word of advice if you decide to come is to note that justice is one sided. If you get into a dispute with your employer, you are probably gonna lose out. So suck it in, relax until you get your salry and f$%k off without saying goodbye. If possible get in with a foreign agency so you have some sort of security if it goes belly up (I believe there are quite a number of ACAS guys in Nigeria).
With regards to the operating environment, Nigeria is challenging but not that challenging. There have been a few improvements but a lot remains to be done. A lot of expat pilots have difficulty operating in a procedural environment (i've flown with LOADS of expats), they expect a babysitting. If you are not above average you will find it challenging, and probably terrifying, flying in Nigeria.

Good luck.