PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2012, 08:24
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting discussion here....

If one sees one's aircraft gaining 2 thousand feet, going from 350 to 370, never mind what the ASI is reading, if anything; you have to realize that you don't get a sustained gain of 2 thousand feet 'for free.' That is so very basic that it should over-ride all the binging and bonging and flashing and beeping in the world, except that here it obviously didn't.

I have noticed with interest the sort of stall recovery training given in two-crew aircraft. Where once we were taught, in little airplanes, to get the nose well down and accept a loss in altitude, the advanced way to do this was presented as a call-out of 'Stall!' at the first indication, going to full power, but putting the nose on the horizon reference and powering out with no or very little loss of altitude. A good recovery was judged on minimum altitude loss rather than getting to the right AoA, when that seems mistaken to me. Here it looks as if they kept the aircraft to a very tidy level-flight attitude while falling like a stone in a deep stall. That would have been somewhat correct for recovery from the sort of stall presented in the usual training scenario I just sketched.

Last edited by chuks; 7th Jul 2012 at 08:25.