PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Avidyne IFD440
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2012, 06:30
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One failed less than a year ago. Not the remote sensor unit (of which failures were common, though often suffering from incorrect installation) but the instrument. I got photos sent to me, showing a big cross across the whole display.

The youtube video they put out, of the inside of their factory, is very much less than inspiring. I've been in electronic manufacturing since 1978...

The remote sensor unit was a joke. Loads of them were reading wildly off on the OAT. Aspen's fix was quite suprising: a software update

It's a very attractive product, especially for King autopilot owners who have the unreliable KI-256, but the flip side is that a lot of functionality is concentrated in it and most owners will have just the one.

And the autopilot adapter (EA-100) is not that reliable either, and by the time you get a failure of that, or the failure of the AHRS (of which I have seen several photos from friends) you are looking at a workload increase due to having a duff autopilot as well.

Anyway, this thread was initially about the new Avidyne products, which don't exist yet, but seem to be priced at levels not corresponding to their value. I wondered of there was an apparent justification.

Last edited by peterh337; 7th Jul 2012 at 06:32.