PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2012, 05:58
RatherBeFlying

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
BEA Webcast Notes

It looks like BEA had a short handout for the press and made frequent admonishments that "all the details are in the full report which you shall receive later". There was also a meeting with the families in the morning. One of the questioners is an experienced Airbus pilot who is working for the families who was not impressed by the report.

There was talk that the FD when present mostly led the crew in the wrong direction. The press questions on FD were all over the map because they don't have much clue what an FD does -- most certainly an FD does not give stall recovery directions. There may have been an indication that stall warning should either shut down the FD or present proper recovery attitude (there's something like an hour or more of dialog and I'm writing from memory).

The flight tests did not go beyond approach to stall. The presenters opined that recovery from the developed stall is out of the envelope and that recovery is highly doubtful, even with proper actions. i.e. certification does NOT require recovery from a developed stall.

There was mention of "lost indicated altitude" that I suspect was because the ADC needs airspeed to present corrected altitude and that there was an apparent initial loss of altitude that PF attempted to correct. Or was the altitude display lost -- perhaps a native French speaker can tell us just what words were used.

The question session I would really like to see is BEA answering questions from qualified pilots who have had time to read the report.