PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK DECs now on seniority list
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2012, 03:46
FUSE PLUG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots who came from regional airlines were not at regional airlines because they had sub par skills. They were there and not able to get hired at a major for two reasons, 9/11 and the retirement age changing from 60 to 65. These two events ( combined with shrinking capacity due to airline consolidation ie. mergers) are the reason why pilots from the US regional industry have not moved up the career ladder (in most cases). It is because there were only a hand full of jobs added in the past decade. It has little, if nothing to do with skill. It has to do with timing.

As for the quality of guys who came off 50-90 seat jets, many of us are now Capts here and are excelling. Has it been different from the flying we used to do? Sure. Does that change the fact that the only way to be successful at any airline is to adapt, absorb, and prepare? No. Don't let a few random cowboys ruin your opinion of the nationality as a whole. I never do when it comes to other nationalities.

Lastly a quick question. Exactly how many years will I have to fly here before I'm not a RJ pilot anymore? 5, 10, when I retire in 25 years will there be an * next to my name because at one time in my career I flew a CRJ?

I think its time to get back to talking about DECs because this discussion is sadly misguided.

Last edited by FUSE PLUG; 7th Jul 2012 at 03:54.