PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 18:30
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOGA bury the stick & everybody else

Airbus makes a fine, technologically advanced and safe jet. I've never flown one, never had the opportunity.

I had an Airbus captain in the jumpseat and asked this individual about his high altitude stall recovery training. The answer I got was that the Airbus will always beat my jet's performance because to escape a ground proximity warning they can engage TOGA and apply maximum pitch input (bury the stick) and the airplane will not stall. After all you can't stall an Airbus.

The answer did not address my question about Airbus' high altitude stall recovery training. Perhaps there was/is no Airbus high altitude stall training. With all due respect; selecting TOGA and burying the stick will not solve every problem. This leads us to the post two positions aove mine where a pilot in training asks the question if becoming a professional pilot causes one to forget/lose their basic flight training background in stall recognition and recovery. How do we answer the question?

Every aircraft in flight is capable of being stalled. It takes the right combination of events and/or circumstances. The idea that " XYZ" aircraft is incapable of being stalled should be eliminated, it is a dangerous error in thinking.

Advanced aircraft, avionics, and ratings do not invalidate basic aeronautics. If the airfoil is stalled then the angle of attack must be decreased to regain laminar airflow to get that airfoil " flying" again.

There are not two sets of basic aerodynamics: one for Private pilots and the other for us commercial pilot " professionals".

Thou shalt maintain thy flying speed, lest the ground (or sea) rise up and smite thee.

Last edited by Northbeach; 6th Jul 2012 at 18:42.