PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army cuts - AAC going?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 16:41
riggersnr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so, WG13 Dummy, that some crabs are irked that AAC SNCO pilots do a great job flying and operating the Apache, at least not this (ex-) Brylcreem Boy.

When I was very young (when the Earth was flat and had hair) my Dad used to bounce me on his knee and tell me war stories. He used to wear a natty khaki, hairy, tickly suit, had three odd stripes on his sleeve and wore what looked like a grubby sea gull on his chest, sometimes with dangly, jangly, shiny things. When I was still an ignorant yoof he used to take me to Glider Pilot Regimental Association Meetings and we would visit a Dutch holiday resort called Arnhem. Apparently, during WW2 he had dropped in one day...As I matured the penny dropped, and I developed a profound awe for him and his SNCO colleagues. As a result of the tales of battle, of dirt, of filth, I made it my life's ambition to join the Crabs, where I could work regular hours and sleep in a proper bed. And so it was.

After many years I retired from the jolly life of a SARboy, QHI, and CFS Examiner Ne'erdowell, to find myself working on 660 Sqn DHFS for 11 years. As a result of this latter experience my profound awe developed into a sustained respect and admiration for AAC SNCO pilots, especially as I became very aware of the contribution to Apache ops that was made - and is being made - by SNCO pilots who are, in my experience, a brave and gallant lot.

Even if you are all dirty, filthy and smell of wee.