PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 16:35
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't accept that everyone in Cork is broke. I would accept that people are being more careful with money, more disposable income is lost in taxes and levies, but there are very many well paid jobs in the Cork area, both in the public and private sectors. What we have seen is a tightening of credit, fewer personal loans and so on, so getting away is that much harder, don't get me wrong more people than before are struggling, but more people are generally being more sensible with money too.
I'd agree with that.

ORK reflects the macro economy as a whole, Flights to UK and Hubs are going from strength to strength - because that's where graduates are going for jobs. This also explains why the "same old bucket and spade" routes are the predominant offering at ORK, because those more likely to go "interesting" places are gone and their friends/family are more likely to visit the diospora than spend a weekend in Madrid, Copenhagen, Oslo, etc.
That's kind of what I was trying to say, although Madrid was never really given a good run I remember it used to operate on a Tues, Thurs, Sat. A Mon, Fri evening service would probably see it do well, getting those kind of slots is another thing.