PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 15:42
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is their no backup system available in the event of pitot tube failure?
Well, yes there is. The other 2 pitot tubes. Trouble is when there is a common problem affecting mroe than 1

Pilot error is surely a factor in this case, but a more significant factor is the failure of aircraft manufacturer's to recognise that automated systems should be designed as an adjunct to a pilots flying skill and training, and not as a substitute for it.
This situation began because the AP disconnected, and the situation degraded because the pilots did not understand what was going on.
Your 2 statements do not quite add up

The AP disconnected precisely because 'that automated systems should be designed as an adjunct to a pilots flying skill and training' occurred - the AP was not able to determine what was happening to a sufficient degree - the system designers / regulators decided that was a point to hand it back to the crew.

Now as you say 'and the situation degraded because the pilots did not understand what was going on' and that is an issue for training / skill / practice. Now I fly "made in Tolouse" products for a major European airline, LHS for nearly 10 years. I do not recall one sim training session where I was "persuaded" to be distracted / looked down / pretend dozed off, and then given the aircraft in an unusual attitude, with some systems / insts failed, and told to resolve it *. I do recall being given some very gentle stall recoveries to perform, precisely, with a detailed brief in the minutes before "to address the AF issue" (all systems working except in Altn law)

* The sort of UP recovery every RAF student pilot started doing at ~25hrs and in every IF training trip / test thereafter.