PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 14:21
SadPole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@nine minutes of dumb

The transcript is a riot. No wonder it was claimed to be such an offense for it to be leaked. Almost as "good" as the one from (my favorite) Smolensk:

02:11:03 (Bonin) Je suis en TOGA, hein?
I'm in TOGA, huh?

02:13:40 (Robert) Remonte... remonte... remonte... remonte...
Climb... climb... climb... climb...

02:13:40 (Bonin) Mais je suis à fond à cabrer depuis tout à l'heure!
But I've had the stick back the whole time!

At last, Bonin tells the others the crucial fact whose import he has so grievously failed to understand himself.
However, the dumb dumb dumb idea of ("dual input") averaging the stick inputs without even providing the feedback to the other pilot is stupid. How come force-feedback is almost expected for good computer game console but not for a giant jet? I would argue that both Airbus and AirFrance should pay through the nose for this adventure. Airbus for designing a plane that allowed one pilot to do something completely stupid without the other knowing about it, AirFrance for the "performance" of the pilots.

The second screwup is designing a jet where everyone almost assumes (they should not assume that) is going to be flown almost entirely on automatics and then dropping off automatics at the slightest problem (in this case iced up pitot tubes) as if it required the same drastic response as say collision warning, thus forcing pilots into the situation they obviously have not been trained for.

Complete FUBAR.

Air France 447 Flight-Data Recorder Transcript - What Really Happened Aboard Air France 447 - Popular Mechanics

Last edited by SadPole; 6th Jul 2012 at 16:23. Reason: added transcript link