PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Damage Tol.& Fatig. Eval. of Comp. Rotorcraft Structures"
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:45
blakmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9A+,

Not sure if it is Pilate washing his hands or Schultz from Hogan's Heroes "I know nothing".

Without exception (almost) environmental considerations take into account (or at least make allowances for) such effects as changes in strength with temperature and moisture levels in the adhesive. Moisture and heat tend to soften the adhesive so the stiffness and strength decrease, and this tends to be the focus of testing. Very few manufacturers realize the long term consequences of hydration of the interface and that is why the regulations xx.603 and xx.605 need to specify that testing must address bond durability, not just strength and fatigue.

If EASA want to rely on that regulation, then they need some form of mandatory guidance on demonstration of bond durability with the effects of environment included.

One thing is certain. I know of at least one case where a pilot died from this problem occurring in a main rotor blade.

The server is still down so I can't post the address for the papers.

Regards

Blax