PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAOPA sets out its stall on PPL licensing to the US and Europe
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:30
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pilots seem to be the most disconnected fraternity when it comes to mounting any sort of front as you and I well now with regards the IMCr. I have never understood entirely why, may be it is something to do with the mentality of too many pilots.
It's indeed an interesting social phenomenon...

I think the explanation starts with anybody who wants to fly having to be a pretty obscessed individual - due to the grotesque over-regulation one has to put up with.

My son (16) more or less gave up getting on with the PPL, once he saw the contents of the books. I would say 90% of the stuff is not relevant to any form of aviation.

So only the most determined individuals make it through and hang in there long term.

The pressure continues through one's flying life. There are license renewals, medicals (every time you visit the AME you have no idea whether your aviation days will be over that day), and more fun for aircraft owners

Then you get the standard "volunteer organisation nightmare" whereby often the most obnoxious tend to rise to the top, because nobody else wants to (or is able to find the time to) do the job.

That's why there is so little social cohesion in GA.

You see (saw) the same thing in the communist regimes. Because everybody was under constant pressure (in the form of surveillance, even in the office, and general hassle through one's life, just making ends meet, etc) most people were quite ready to stab each other in the back to get any advantage. People in e.g. East Germany and Czechoslovakia were horrid towards each other.