PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:10
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe in some respects we are over training pilots - there seem to be an obsession these days for all sorts of mnemonics and very structured procedures which can in fact obscure priorities.

As I say "Flying is very simple but there are a lot of people around trying to make it as complicated as possible".

As part of the act of "dumbing down" of the profession maybe we are relying too much on the procedural aspects (slavish adherence to SOPs etc - yes, I know, we need them!) - almost like "painting by numbers" so much so that when pilots are faced with something "unusual" they become lost.

Dare I say those of us who were brought up on basic a/c with basic autopilots (no autothrust or FMC or EFIS) were "hard wired" for manual flight. We may be a bit rusty but it's no big deal if we have to hand fly. The modern generation of pilots have not got this framework to fall back on when it's all falling apart.

Am reminded something my father (who was a veteran light a/c instructor) said to me "Masters practice fundamentals every single day - look at an accomplished concert pianist who will practice scales every day". If we want pilots to be masters of their trade then they have to be given the opportunity to practice basics on a regular basis.

Last edited by fireflybob; 6th Jul 2012 at 13:11.