PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me... or the UK ATC system?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 12:47
FoxRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR / IFR in Germany

I'm aware that I'm hijacking this threat across the channel, but I feel a few things need to be clarified.

This side of the channel "cleared to XYZ, route, level" means just that. You are cleared on the given routing regardless of the airspace. Outside CAS it's advisory or information only, but your clearance is valid to reenter CAS - eg. Poland, Sweden, Hungary, and also Germany. In theory you could have a Comm-Failure after receiving the take-off clearance and still continue in and out of CAS.

Germany does not permit IFR in airspace G. It has nothing to do with ATC. It's a political thing from over 60 years back, we are all used to it and nobody bothers changing it. Hence the dreaded airspace F, which is not CAS, btw. In return the VMC minima for airspace G are ridiculously low (1500m and clear of clouds).

With an acknowledged IFR clearance those minima may be applied to airspace E until reaching the minimum IFR level. Even though it's seldomly done you could call ACC by phone, get your clearance, and depart a VFR airfield clear of clouds and be IFR somewhere between 2000 and 3000ft AGL depending on the airspace. May not be nice but works and is legal for most conditions. (Works in a similar manner the other way around)

Ok, now back to the island. I'm eager to learn more about the system there.

Regards,
FR