PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 12:21
Case One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOE-FBS
I still don't understand something which I hope you airliner pilots can answer, please. For my IMC rating (it's a UK-only qualification with very limited privileges that allows IMC flight), I was taught (over simplifying slightly for discussion) that if you don't know what is happening with the airspeed, set cruise power and put the AI in the middle with the wings level and things will settle to a point where you are in control again. Does that work at M0.8 at FL350?
Pretty much. First you have to recognise that you have a problem. Then you have to have an idea of an appropriate cruise power setting (years of automated flight and non-moving thrust levers tend to erode that awareness), and you may have to manually trim (not instinctive for some Airbus pilots).

However, in my experience, most Airbus pilots have zero experience of hand flying the aeroplane above about 10k, never mind at high level. This deficit is not compensated for in the simulator, where most excercises are conducted below 10k, hey ho.