PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 10:28
Case One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep the pilots screwed up because they didn't know how to fly. There are quirks in FBW Airbus aeroplanes that can confuse the issue (I'm an Airbus guy but I'm sure other types have challenging areas as well, most aircraft do). The Thales pitot tube fiasco is a disgrace. The airlines hire cheap inexperienced guys, don't train them properly, continue to drive down T's and C's discouraging experienced guys from joining or remaining.

All true but none of it the root cause. To me that is the certifying and licencing authorities. They set the rules of this game and they have not being doing their job properly for years. Someone asked if we can expect to see accident rates start to rise. You better believe it. It's not going to happen quickly, but as experience and skill trickle out of this industry it is certain to happen. At the moment the effects of inadequate design and training are being masked by the experienced operators still flying the line.

The public think our job is easy (these things fly themselves don't they), and that current safety levels are "normal" or "natural". Flying is inherently unforgiving and risky. We have systems in place to control that risk, and those systems must be continuously reviewed and updated.

It would appear to me that those in charge now don't understand what made saftey improve over the last sixty odd years and are now actively dismantling these systems. Did I mention EASA?