PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 07:02
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRC is (as always) correct. The little songbird (ARIA) did in fact start out as a 'D' model later being up-graded to a G1. I saw this craft many many times as a wee lad accompanying my father (as opposed to godfather) where, for a handful of years he kept a plank at Biggin.

Mushroom: We are indebted to the small army of photographers whom I constantly 'hasstle' to provide us with unwatermarked copies of their handiwork to post on PPRuNe. Over the past year or so several of the photographers have become keen followers of the Nostalgia Thread and which of course is great. To them we say a big thank you!

Brilliant: Have yet to read the biography but will doubtless pick-up a copy when I next visit the wetlands (Blighty). Yes, Beaverbook (what an amazing chap) did have a rather rudely registered craft - one I was planning to do a piece on at some point - so, your mentioning of her may well hasten this! One can only assume that the ribbing he received was a pain in the **se!

The aviation connections with the Beaverbrook family are many; his daughter, for example, the Hon. Janet Kidd had her own Bell 47. Whether she was a flyer or had her own driver I am not sure (perhaps Denissimo recalls!). And there are further connections which, with Senior Pilot's approval, I shall post for they do deviate somewhat off-course, lol!

The Agusta-built Bell 47G-2 G-AWSK as seen at Farnborough in September 1970 (Photo: Mick West)

Above; Janet Kidd's Bell 47 attending the 1970 Farnborough Airshow. Just visible in the background is G-AWOL the Bell produced 206 belonging to David Brown Tractors of Huddersfield.

The Hon. Janet Kidd (1908-1988)