PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 6th Jul 2012, 04:42
Rusty1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when the theory is man made co2 is such a significant driver, and co2 continues to climb at a steep rate, how is it even possible to have cooling?
That one's kinda easy. You assume all heat is via direct atmospheric warming. But that's not the case. Take Europe. It gets a lot of it's warmth from the North Atlantic current (ie the what the gulf stream becomes) so the ocean is considerably warmer than it would otherwise be, and thus so is the climate. Without it, Europe would be much colder (particularly Western Europe). More like the kind of temps you'd expect at that latitude.

Turn that current off, as most climate scientists agree will happen with a warming at equatorial latitudes for reasons that are too complicated for me but if oceanographers say so.... and Europe gets colder.

That's one of the reasons you don't hear them calling it global warming anymore. Sure, the average temp will be warmer, but not everywhere on the globe will be. Hence they stopped using the term (it gave people a stick to beat them with) and they use climate change instead.

As for Bob Carter, I actually believe he is well meaning and with no particular axe to grind, but that doesn't mean he is correct. A quick Google will find well qualified people who have debunked his theories.

I have no particular dog in this fight. But there are a lot of very well qualified, well meaning, not conflicted scientists who believe this stuff is real. (and some hopelessly conflicted ones - but nowhere near as many), And a very few who don't. That's great, that's how science works, but when non-scientists start sprouting stuff that isn't true on talkback and the like, backed by serious commercial interests, I know who I'll turn to. And it isn't Alan Jones or "Lord" Monckton.

I didn't question the Higgs Boson, and nor did anyone else really, because there is no money involved. Funny that.