PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2012, 03:28
Red Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shagpile's assertion is confirmed by multiple sources on the Web. This really is an APPLE issue, and i would suggest those angry little Vegemites that are having a go at the developers of OzRunways back off just a tad. Im sure it'll be sorted in a few days. Cheers all.

Marco.org
I’m Marco Arment: creator of Instapaper, technology writer, and coffee enthusiast.
Twitter • Podcast • Best Of • Sponsorship
Corrupt App Store binaries crashing on launch
July 4, 2012 • ∞ •
Last night, within minutes of Apple approving the Instapaper 4.2.3 update, I was deluged by support email and Twitter messages from customers saying that it crashed immediately on launch, even with a clean install.

This didn’t make sense — obviously, Apple had reviewed it, and it worked for them. My submitted archive from Xcode worked perfectly. But every time I downloaded the update from the App Store, clean or not, it crashed instantly.

Lots of anxiety and research led me to the problem: a seemingly corrupt update being distributed by the App Store in many or possibly all regions.

And this is happening to other apps, not just Instapaper, updated in the last few days.

Characterizations of this issue:

The app crashes immediately on launch, every time, even after a delete and reinstall as long as the corrupt file is being served by the App Store.
It doesn’t even show the Default.png before crashing. Just a split-second of a partial fade to black, then back to Springboard.
It may only affect customers in some regions.
If updating from iTunes, some customers might get a dialog citing error 8324 or 8326.
Mac apps might show this dialog:
“[App] is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete [App] and download it again from the App Store.”
The console might show: AppleFairplayTextCrypterSession::fairplayOpen() failed, error -42110
I emailed App Review less than an hour after the update went live and yelled about it on Twitter. About two hours after the update went live, a correct, functional version of it started being distributed on reinstalls. As far as I know, the problem hasn’t recurred since then.

I haven’t yet received a response from App Review, so I don’t know whether the fix was because I made noise, or simply because time passed, which may, for instance, expire a cache with the bad data.

The only fix for people with bad copies, once good copies are being served again by the App Store, is to delete and reinstall the app.

I’ve heard reports of this happening with numerous updates released on July 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Below is a growing list of affected apps.

If you’re a developer, and you have a non-critical update pending release, I suggest waiting a few days for this to presumably get sorted out before releasing it.

Because if this happens to you, all of your most active users, the people who will install updates within hours of them becoming available, will be stopped in their tracks. They’ll think you’re careless, incompetent, and sloppy for issuing a release that doesn’t work. And they’ll leave you a lot of angry 1-star reviews.

And it’s even more serious for apps that store user-created data or game progress locally: if the only fix is to delete and reinstall the app, many users will lose their data.

Apple: This is a serious problem. It’s not isolated. Please fix this.

Known affected apps that are or were corrupted:

Instapaper, obviously
Aboalarm
Al & Joe Bust Out
Angry Birds Space Free
Angry Birds Space HD Free
Apalabrados.org
AroundCal
Autocité Parkings
Big Start
Bird Song Id
Bunker Buster
CarZen
Checkout Helper
Chord Picker
CincyMobile
CLM iPlanner
Cocktailpedia
CommBank Kaching
Cubemen
DocuNotes+
Dolphin HS Browser
Dosecast
Dunno
Face Juggler Free
Face Juggler Plus
Festival d’Avignon OFF 2012
FlattrCast
Flick Soccer
Flight International
Gaia GPS
Gluddle
GoodReader (more)
Heart Booth Free
Heart Booth HD Free
Huffington
iBike Moto
Ice Age Village
iCoyote Europe
iDesign
iMieiFarmaci
iPronto To Do
iPronto To Do HD
iPronto To Do Lite
iPronto To Do Lite HD
iQIF
iQuikDoF
iTankster
Jewel World Skull Edition
L’Equipe.fr
LA Times
Letris 2
Letris Power
Levee en Masse HD
Lords & Knights
Lucky Slots
M6
Mag+ Reviewer
Maps 3D
Maps 3D Lite
Matchbook
Max Payne Mobile
Mayvio Budget
Measure Map
Measure Map Lite
MedCalc
MedCalc Pro
Meetup
Melodies Pro
MemoryBrands
Metronome+
mixi
MoPho
MultiTrack DAW
My Medical Info
My365
OrderPat Server
outdooractive
Pair
PDX Bus
Peekaboo Barn
Phoster
Pinball Maniacs
Please Stay Calm
Quote Unquote
Qwak
Readdle Scanner Pro (more)
Redshift
Samurai vs Zombies Defense
Ski Safari
Skoobe
Simple RSS Push
Sleep Bug Pro
Slotomania
SMARTReporter (Mac)
SmartScan+OCR
Smilebox
Sprightly Pyramid Solitaire
Stack the States
Stat E&M Coder
Synalyze It! (Mac)
Tap Sonic
Tap’N Ride
TEDiSUB
The Early Edition 2
The Magic of Reality
Threadnote
@View
W9
Wakaru
Wind expert
Word Lens
Wrackle
Yahoo! Search
Young Art
Update, July 5: After adding 114 apps to the list with more reports coming in every few minutes, it’s no longer practical for me to maintain the list. Obviously, this is a very widespread problem for many apps updated from July 3–5.

Apple has told a few news outlets that they’re looking into the issue.

© 2006–2012 Marco Arment.
RSS feed, Twitter feed. Proud member of Read & Trust. Powered by Second Crack, coffee, and Phish.
ADS VIA THE DECK

Echograph : A new visual storytelling medium made for iPad.