PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Memorial
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 22:56
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just watched tonight's ITV programme. I am fortunate enough to have met many wonderful RAF veterans at Project Propeller and am always impressed by their quiet dignity, wonderful sense of humour but also their humility - never a word about what they did but only too ready to spill the beans about their colleagues usually prefaced by something along the lines of "You see him (in one particular case a Squadron Leader with the DFM) you should know about him and what he did". There then follows the tale of the person's activities. All quietly proud of their achievements but never a hint of boasting. At the end of the programme each veteran contributor gave his name, rank, position in the crew and number of missions flown. I was absolutely stunned as the numbers increased as the list of contributors continued, surely, I thought as one Rear Gunner said he had flown on 48 missions but had been shot down on the 48th, surely there can't be anyone with a higher total. I was wrong, very, very wrong. The penultimate crew member was also a Rear Gunner with an amazing 80, yes, EIGHTY missions. His total was only surpassed by a pilot with 81. I have the highest respect and admiration for all of the crews. Thank you seems such a small thing to say but I mean it and I'll be back to help with PP next year having been ill and unable to do so this year. One day out of my life helping at PP is a tiny expression of my thanks for what they did.
PPP I believe the NZ Veterans were all flown over free of charge, in Club Class, by the NZ Government.