PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 weeks On/Off and other random questions from Canada
Old 5th Jul 2012, 21:47
SARBlade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Camp Freddie on this one. You're 30, my guess just finishing your first tour on 412's. You are better served staying in the military, getting your hours up, getting your time completed towards a pension, then leaving after your 25 years are complete. By then you'll have the requisite time under your belt, maybe a bunch of heavy time as PIC and experience, plus you will be much further ahead in the pocket book!! Look at wages for a commercial FO, not good, and that's where you'll start. Hell, there are plenty of civilian pilots out there with 2-3000 hrs looking for good jobs, mind you the may not have their ATPLs, but it doesn't take much to get it.

The possibilities, well again CF nailed it with CHC, if you are not endorsed on one of their types, you may not hear from them for a long time. Good luck with TC/CCG, they only hire high time and you will compete against a lot of pilots that have huge amounts of time, those are the guys that now want security and a pension! I cannot comment overseas in the UK, I have not been there, but they too will have high time requirements and offshore time that you do not have.

I hope that I am not sounding too negative, but as you say, you are 2 years away from any big decision anyway. You have a golden opportunity with the RCAF, get your time and pension, then move on. Oh, and one other thing, you also get told where to live in the civilian world as well, its just that you have to move on your own to the employment!

Good luck, perhaps a VFR job for CHL might be what you are looking for, the good paying ones are over in the sandbox!!