PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 20:31
Ranger One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angelorange
Other A330 pilots encountered similar senarios without major incident because they flew attitude and power setting. How many times does a "STALL STALL" warning have to go off before someone reduces Angle of Attack?
Now I absolutely grant you that the crew had already f**ked up beyond all recognition by this point, but refer to RobertS975 - post #15.

Once they were deep into the incident the warning worked bass ackwards; they reduced AoA, speed increased beyond 60KIAS, the stall warning sounded, they pulled back again, speed reduced, and the stall warning stopped.

That is an aspect of this accident that *still* hasn't received enough attention for my satisfaction. It's a long way from being the most important factor, but it's there and it seems to me the last thing you need when in a high-stress situation trying to work out what the is going on. I still haven't had a cogent explanation of why that design decision was taken; the aircraft shouldn't be anywhere near 60KIAS in anything resembling normal operation, if it IS then it's in deep stall, so why not just hang the stall warning inhibit off the WoW logic, for instance?