PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I turned down Cathay Pacific (SO Transition)
Old 5th Jul 2012, 17:52
K.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey TruthSeeker6,

I'm sorry to hear that. I can confirm your statement about grads going to regionals, however, I'm unsure of how many many still have those jobs, have moved up in the world or just flat out quit. I've always (and understandably so) thought of my degree to be the crowbar that will separate me from my competition, and I hope I'm not being cocky by saying so, but hope its a fact.

Do you think someone else with a degree from Purdue would do better? Or is it just luck that determines what job you'll land? I don't and didn't plan to be a flight instructor after i graduated. What alternative is there to moving from being a CFI to the regionals? I doubt I am better off. I'm not sure what your flight background is or if you're currently employed, but I'm more and more inclined to believe that the poor sod working for Express Jet at 22k a year, has a job and flies something bigger than a piston twin.

I agree with the fact that ER grads are known to be arrogant, but that's not all of us, its a stereotype. Purdue and UND are good schools too. I wonder if there's a way to let the aviation world that we're not all stuck up and make sure that ER grads are a bit more humble about their degrees/training. I won't really know how good of a pilot I am, or how good my training is until i throw myself into the real world and go head to head with hundreds of other pilots in trying to secure a job.

The looming pilot shortage needs to stop looming and start striding towards us, wha'dya say? ER makes dreamers out of us, but I think its good in a way. We graduate being fairly positive, ready to get out there, get a good job and make the most of our training. Thats not how i felt when i graduated, perhaps i know more. I digress. Thank you for your input. Anyone else have a similar or contradictory viewpoint than TruthSeeker6? Let me know.

Thanks,

Happy Landings,

KO