PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - security, restore the balance of power
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 17:34
gusting_45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you speak of oversight, what you may not realise that the DFT are a permanent feature 24 hours a day at every airport with a screening function. The oversight is there, you may not like it but it exists.

Your ire should be directed at the DFT not those who apply it's directives.

You say you dislike the intrusiveness, neither do I, but that is what is mandated.

If you have an enemy per se it is the DFT.

I would suspect that I 'suffer' more at the hands of the security system more than you. I have had orthopaedic surgery which left me with stainless steel bits. Every time I pass through screening I set off the scanner, every time I get the full treatment. It is a nuisance, boring and in my mind nonsensical, but, it is the system. I don't resent the fact that the security personnel do their job. It is their job.

There is a problem with the zealousness which UK plc has adopted the security machine. One has only to witness the full scale alert on the M6 toll road today. Somebody light up an electronic cigarette on a bus. Full scale security alert ensued.

The gratitude for this state of affairs must go to the political hierarchy of this country who have made it a top line target.

As an aside, I'm not British, although living/working in England so have no personal agenda one way or the other.

I will be leaving these shores behind me some time soon, apart from the turnarounds that is, and can look forward to the more cordial security environment described elsewhere.

I suspect that we agree on the inadequacies of security screening not to mention its absurdities, however, I will face it with a smile rather than a snarl as this achieves the best result for me.

The only exception I really take to some of the comments above is the personal abuse and rudeness. You clearly, from your comments, don't like to be the recipients but are at the same time quite happy to dole it out.

As a final remark, thank goodness, if threatened with being reported by an obnoxious security officer, say fine and go with the process. You will not be the loser. I have done so in the past and it is the best way to illustrate that their actions are inappropriate. I have also handed them my company mobile and offered to have them speak to my crewing department and duty pilot so they can explain why it is that I am unable to report for my assigned duty. It works wonders, you should try, it provides a moral victory and is much more satisfying than huffing and puffing here.