PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bumpy ride: the truth about turbulence
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 13:54
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LondonPax
I've found that turbulence on the BA LCY - JFK route to be quite troubling, as the A318 is a relatively small aircraft, compared to what you'd fly on that route from say LHR, so moves about a lot.
I have a bit of theory about this. I work on both the 777, usually down the back, and the A318 and have always found the A318 to be a little more stable. I've always assumed it's because it has less length to wobble around, if that makes sense! However, I have heard other passengers on the A318 say the same as you, LondonPax. I wonder if it's more a case of where you are sitting than the aircraft type.

It's known that turbulence is felt more towards the rear of an aircraft, to the extent that the crew at the front can be happily skipping around the cabin while we at the back are hanging on to seat backs. Most of our passengers on the A318 will be used to travelling towards the front of a wide body, in Club or First. The 318 is the only time they may travel at the other end. Could it be this, plus the perception that it's a small aircraft and therefore, people expect it to be more affected by turbulence?

Obviously, if you usually travel in 1A on the 318, that shoots my theory down in flames!