PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush Pilot
Thread: Bush Pilot
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 11:25
bluecode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not saying its easy, but doesn't seem anywhere near as challenging as the guys flying in Alaska.
With the consequent accident rate. Believe me any form of commercial light piston flying is challenging whatever the environment. Short bumpy/wet/soft runways, weather issues, long days followed by longer days and pressure to get the job done whether internal or external is all very challenging and bottom clenching.

But as they're were keen to point out on the show, these operators are not the cliched 'cowboy' bush flyers of yore. Which is obvious in the fact that they can employ very low time pilots in their operations.

One thing aspiring pilots need to note from this show is the emphasis on having the right personality and showing enthusiasm. In fact even when it comes to the airlines this is important. The very fact that you went out of your way and did something different tells it's own story to the interviewer.

I was involved in recruiting a pilot and we used the same method of personality testing and essentially before he even sat in an aircraft we knew we had the right guy. Once flying we gave him a hard time and tried to rattle him. Again he met the grade. Plus he was lucky, right place, right time. It was amazingly difficult to find someone who ticked all those boxes despite all the pilots who turned up and told us they would do anything to fly for us.

That's the great lesson of this show. You can have all the ratings you want but if you have the personality of a fish you will struggle and never know why.

I think the one negative consequence of this show will be that the campsites of Maun will be chock full of wannabees next year. The operators will be spoiled for choice.