PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 11:12
ayroplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOBODY on God's Earth is going to fly Ryanair to connect to Aer Lingus out of Dublin on long haul
Have to agree with this. FR makes it clear that it is a “point to point” airline and MOL has consistently expressed his desire to do away with hold baggage and this is reflected in the charges. Who is going to fly longhaul with just carry-on? This is not to denigrate Ryanair who are a lifesaver for me and 75m other passengers but, for this to happen, there would have to be a complete change of mindset.

I also don’t go along with this theory that hordes of people in the UK and/or Europe will want to fly to the US through Dublin just because of the US Clearance facility. The vast majority of people prefer direct flights from their own cities. Even if their ultimate destination in US is not served by a direct flight are they really going to want to fly a third leg to/from DUB. I don’t think so.

I still can’t understand why FR would want take onboard EI and all its baggage. Apart from the pensions problem, from day one they would be up against “outraged and angry” trade unions and staff whose resentment is abundantly clear and who would do all in their power to create agro every single step of the way. In an era when airlines have to make instant decisions and changes as things happen (and which MOL is steeped in) can he afford to wait 12 months or longer before change is “agreed” around a table.

Maybe he has a plan for all that in which case I’d love to hear it.