PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 5th Jul 2012, 10:06
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
So you must have links to empirical evidence that manmade greenhouse gasses are warming the world/changing the climate dangerously then Pete?

Please enlighten us.
climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Its empirical evidence. It lists real world data. They cite their sources.
and we have had cooling. I fly all over the world for a living and I have seen widespread cooling in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, the ME and Europe in the last 4 years. We have all read the reports that show the same in North America. Mates who fly into Russia and NA regularly tell me they have seen the same there. Colder winters and cooler summers. Its REALLY obvious in the ME and EU/UK.
What reports? NASA and NOAA have specifically said that, with records to back it up, that
Global temperature rise
All three major global surface temperature reconstructions show that Earth has warmed since 1880. 5 Most of this warming has occurred since the 1970s, with the 20 warmest years having occurred since 1981 and with all 10 of the warmest years occurring in the past 12 years. 6
And your statement
Over the course of the last 120 odd years, where accurate records have been available, we have seen cyclical slight warming and cooling ending in 1998 at about a net +.7C, droughts and floods that have been both worse and less severe than recent ones, new records for coldest days/months on record but no new record highs (the hottest days in the last 10 years have only been 'hottest since 1930 something).
is incorrect.
Have a look at State of the Climate , the monthly NOAA State Of The Climate report. It is a report on the weather observations made throughout the US and the world, and opens with "May 2012 global temperatures were second-warmest on record". One interesting point they make is that May 2012 was the 327th consecutive month with a global average temperature above the 20th century average. (Thats since February 1985) Thats not based on models or guesswork, that is based solely on observations and measurements made over the last century and a bit.

I was just talking to a mate in NZ today who was telling me that while washing his C185 in Wanaka a few days ago, just after lunchtime, his aircraft ended up completely covered in ice - born and raised in Wanaka and never seen that before - coldest June/July on record.
That sounds suspiciously like an anecdote as opposed to empirical evidence to me!