PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot 'Apprenticeship'
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 23:31
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not pro or anti any route to flying jets. What I try to do on here is show newer CPL/ATPL holders who are looking to break into this incredibly competitive market a realistic view of how it really is.

I would however disagree with Private jet who wrote;
However the experience needs to be relevent...500 hours or whatever instructing on light aircraft, glider towing, para dropping etc I would argue bears little relevence to the skills required on the flightdeck of a modern airliner.
I see where you are coming from in that it is not a complex modern twinjet or bigger, but it's not the a/c type which dictates the relevance, it's the exposure to problems and decision making process which is entirely relevent. With 150-200hrs TT and a frozen ATPL it's quite likely that you have never experienced a real problem where you have had to confront the issue and make judgements on courses of action open to you. With 1000hrs, even if it's only in single engined machines, you have probably had to make decisions whilst airborne that got you thinking (and the sphincter palputating!)

I'll say again what I have posted before on this type of topic and that is the quality of your hours is important too. If you have 1000hrs, 800 twin and 700 of those are real IFR take it from me, you will be better off in the twin jet sim for your assessment, purely because you will have more capacity to spend on getting to grips with the machine, whereas the 1000hr VFR single pilot will be spending an awful lot of time trying to remember his instrument flying skillls on top of handling. When I did my 75 type rating course at CTC alongside the ATP cadets the difference was very noticeable. I had more experience than them and found the transition easier (that's no disrespect to them, it's just they didn't start on a level playing field compared to me). We both passed the course which is after all what counts, but my partner struggled in places which was purely down to the workload and his capacity.

Second Officer positions would be great, but only longhaul could possibly have a use for them and it all comes down to money, money, money. Just about every operator is looking at reducing costs during this downturn so don't hold your breath.

A professional integrated training program for pilots again comes down to money. The trend has been set that airlines can find people with suitable experience levels which they have not had to pay for and so will continue to recruit these people. If the market justifies sponsorships (and cost) then airlines will do this. Sponsored schemes provide this integrated training, if it is to be advocated for all pilots in training who will pick up the tab?

As far as the original question goes, no, an apprenticeship is no less relevant now, probably more relevant in the current climate. Where to get it? The usual places. Yes, you're right, these places are contracting and there is more competition for each opportunity. That's all part of a downturn. There is no magic solution, all I would say is be flexible. Be very flexible. I have a friend who's gone all the way to Africa for his first job (networked his way out there) and will get a job back in Blighty based on his now considerable experience, he's certainly got himself higher in the cv pile with his twin turbo-prop time. So, consider all options and get yourself in the best position for when it all picks up, which it will eventually.

Good luck

PP