PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 5th Jul 2012, 09:32
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you must have links to empirical evidence that manmade greenhouse gasses are warming the world/changing the climate dangerously then Pete?

Please enlighten us.

And I don't mean "I believe" or 'I am convinced" I mean accepted, empirical scientific data.

Not product from models either - real world data. I am sure as an educated man you will accept that computer models are only as good as the assumptions fed into them that modify the behaviour of the accepted physics that is also fed into them.

You see many of the people posting on this thread have done a LOT of reading and a few even have degrees in hard subjects. I have read the output from IPCC (as in the entire FAR for starters) and I studied physics.

I can tell you without fear of contradiction that atmospheric physics is very poorly understood. The IPCC FAR is chock FULL of scientists saying directly that their knowledge of various factors effecting climate is poor - clouds, warm water ocean upwellings, monsoons, aerosols etc.

The Summary For Policymakers on the other hand displays very little doubt that man is warming the world dangerously.

FAR is written by scientists - SFP is written by beaurocrats.

Here is one empirical scientific data point for you. Utterly uncontroversial and widely accepted as fact within the scientific community.

On every time scale atmospheric warming has occurred 800-1000yrs BEFORE atmospheric CO2 increased.

Here is another inconvenient fact - the GC Models have been unanimous in predicting warming whereas 6-7 years ago solar physicists were predicting cooling...and we have had cooling. I fly all over the world for a living and I have seen widespread cooling in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, the ME and Europe in the last 4 years. We have all read the reports that show the same in North America. Mates who fly into Russia and NA regularly tell me they have seen the same there. Colder winters and cooler summers. Its REALLY obvious in the ME and EU/UK.

I was just talking to a mate in NZ today who was telling me that while washing his C185 in Wanaka a few days ago, just after lunchtime, his aircraft ended up completely covered in ice - born and raised in Wanaka and never seen that before - coldest June/July on record.

So the physics tells us run away dangerous warming is impossible - the scientists most closely associated with the IPCC and other world renown academies say, either, they are not sure or just plain discount the AGW hypothesis and the model outputs are diverging more and more from the reality we see around us.

Over the course of the last 120 odd years, where accurate records have been available, we have seen cyclical slight warming and cooling ending in 1998 at about a net +.7C, droughts and floods that have been both worse and less severe than recent ones, new records for coldest days/months on record but no new record highs (the hottest days in the last 10 years have only been 'hottest since 1930 something).

The satellite temperature record since the late 1970s when they were first put up has shown not a lot of anything happening, same with the weather balloons that have been going up since the 1950s, same with the argos system in the oceans.

So far EVERY alarmist prediction has proven false. Whether its Flannery predicting no more significant rain leading to moron pollies spending big on desalination just before flooding rains have swept across most of Australia - again, or IPCC predictions about glaciers in the Himalayas or Mt Kilimanjaro, polar bear extinctions, extinctions more generally, sea level rises that have not happened or where they have they are happening at rates of 1/10th the alarmist predictions...it goes on and one.

Not to mention those emails

But hey - if you wanna donate money to hopeless causes you are perfectly free to do so - it is YOUR RIGHT.

But excuse me for pointing out that it is an indication of the closet totalitarian in you to expect EVERYONE else to do so whether they want to or not.

A huge % of the Australian population that used to believe mankind was warming the world dangerously (because they had never given it much thought - and I include myself in that %) now DON'T. As a result the ALP/Greens will be removed from the levers of power soon - at least - more likely they will be decimated politically for a generation or more.

But fear not - you will still be free to 'invest' money in renewables, donate to the less well off, or whatever floats your boat.

So will the rest of us - IF IT FLOATS OURS.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 5th Jul 2012 at 09:40.