PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Throttle lever error nearly destroyed Dash 8's engines
Old 5th Jul 2012, 07:56
cwatters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To this layman the power lever trigger does seem a bad design. Would appear easy to grab the whole thing in a brace reaction in turbulence.
I think this section says it all...

2.2.4 It might be said that it requires more precision to grip the Power Levers without the fingers closing around the handles than it does to grip the entire mechanism. This factor is especially relevant when the aircraft is subjected to turbulence. The Accident Investigation Board can therefore understand how the Commander came to grip the entire mechanism, including the release triggers, when he suddenly had to pull back the Power Levers to Flight Idle. In this period, the g values were as low as -1.077. This can also result in a need to grip the handles extra hard. If the fingers grip the release triggers, the mass of the Commander’s right hand may itself provide enough force to release the stop function at a load of -1g. It is therefore understandable that the release triggers may have been lifted by accident when the Commander pulled the Power Levers to Flight Idle. A force of 2 kg, which is required to pass Flight Idle, cannot be said to represent certain assurance against the Power Levers being pulled too far back. This is especially true when the aircraft is being shaken hard in turblence.

and

2.2.6 The AIBN believes the Commander acted rationally when he gripped the Power Levers and pulled them back. He expected them to stop at Flight Idle, but ended up pulling them too far back.

PS I couldn't see a reference to lap straps in the report but perhaps I missed it.

Last edited by cwatters; 5th Jul 2012 at 08:03.