PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Bomber Command" ITV1 Programme
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 06:07
Churchills Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jindabyne thank you.

I mean I don't mind the old 'pr00ne' having a go, he's free to aire his opinions but he did seem to grab hold of the wrong end of the stick with respect to my comments.

Yes - I know there were some atrocities which occurred between air crews but, on the whole and through both wars, they were remarkably few and, as mentioned, the prevailing culture was one of relative decency and respect for and between flyers.

No one wanted to be doing what they were doing and who can forget the many moving moments surrounding the Christmas Truce of 1914:

Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "no man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides were also friendly enough to play several games of football with one another.
What I was trying to say was that in those days there was stronger evidence of gentlemanly conduct - something I fail to see in today's society with my wife only last week being insulted by a group of tracksuit wearing youths in the car park of our local Tesco's because she has a limp!

GC
Father - ex-603 Sqn RAF Turnhouse WWII
Grandfather - ex-Royal Regiment of Artilley WWI