PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Shares hit $1.00 Discuss
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2012, 05:05
FYSTI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qlink are getting Jets - they have already been told by Gissing et al with "we are not going to turn this into Jetstar". This makes it a double edged sword. It gives management leverage on the one hand against "internal" groups, yet on the other it gives Qlink pilots jet time in their logbook, and hence increases their employability elsewhere. From what I understand, Qlink has a relatively high turnover as it is. I note that Emirates, for instance requires Jet time. I'm not suggesting pilots will all go to Emirates, rather it gives them much more scope for alternatives than just Dash time does.

Its is also interesting that in the domestic sphere QF shorthaul, Jetstar and Virgin are very close pay wise - if one reads the contracts closely (super salary, days-off penalty, profit share & retention bonuses), . Why have Jestar & Virgin pay increased over time - especially with the JPC negotiating? Ultimately companies need to be competitive to retain pilots. As Bruce Buchanan said at the Senate Inquiry on the 6th Feb 2011, the "market price" for a Captain is US$200K. Taking tax into consideration and the high marginal rate it needs to be higher in Aus to retain crew, which is what we see domestically.

Qlink, however may be able to offer something else, perhaps lifestyle to retain pilots for reduced pay. Jetstar can only offer "flexi-lines" to the newest 10% of crew, giving them a carrot to stay for the full-time contract. Without that, most would leave quickly with sufficient hours on type.

Not saying it is of no concern, however there are nuances for both sides to consider.