PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 5th Jul 2012, 02:41
brit12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning very far ahead!

Hi to all,

I'm a newbie on the thread and obviously want to follow the career path of ATC. From researching these forums, hitting up current ATCs and looking through various websites I believe it will be a great career path. I've just moved to Brisbane and have at least 2 years of Partner Visa paperwork and bureaucracy to wait just until I can apply for a position (not just ATC, pretty much any job post requires the candidate to be either a citizen or a permanent resident). Frustrating but completely understood with the cost of training etc.

So I have at least two years of research for the position to hopefully get into the top 1/3/5% of applicants which is often quoted. I have a good background in Mathematics (A grade at year 13 or A-Levels as they are in Britain). And a Degree BSc in Geography. My questions are what would you suggest as a good way to go. I'm looking at IQ tests and psychometric tests constantly along with playing ATC games! I have seen in another forum that the book and interactive DVD "Air Traffic Control Career Prep" by Patrick Mattson is worthwhile. Any reviews here? I know that it is widely said not to do much preparation but for myself with 2 years at least to wait it seems ridiculous not to give myself the best possible chances of getting through quickly!

Secondly, are you aware of any voluntary positions that are generally available to get some experience of being around ATC and to be able to ask questions. I will obviously call my local centre (Brisbane) and try to arrange tours but I see this is difficult without having already got to an Assessment Centre.

Finally, reading Will Advise's FAQ to the process, he mentions Brisbane as training centre, I believe that this is just for the final "in field" process as described on the Airservices website and that the 12 month training solely takes part in Melbourne?

Any help regarding any of this would be much appreciated, I'm excited and just wanting to gain a better understanding, this is also helping me keep trudging through the paperwork for residency!

Thanks!