PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Throttle lever error nearly destroyed Dash 8's engines
Old 5th Jul 2012, 00:35
Island-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And that brings me to rapid power movement. I was taught that the only time you make a violent and rapid power lever movement was to avoid impact.

I don't blame the pilots exclusively though. I wonder what Wideroe's "unexpected turbulence encounter" procedure is. I know on jets our process was to deploy speed brakes prior to reducing power. Our company's turbulence encounter procedure reminds pilots to use the condition levers for more effective slowing to turbulence penetration speed, but I would imagine most pilots will go for the PL's first.

Again, this situation really didn't require any rushing. Hitting severe turbulence at 200 knots (versus 180) isn't going to destroy the plane. It's just really about slowing down. I'll digress on calling them idiots, this crew did their best and I hope they receive training to put them more at ease in abnormal situations. However one of my biggest pet peeves is the introduction of self-inflicted emergencies.