PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Bomber Command" ITV1 Programme
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 23:25
cynicalint

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
TTN,

I would rather be prosecuted by Pr00ne than defended by him!

While he is right that it is illegal to (i) direct attacks against the civilian population as such or against individual civilians not taking direct part in hostilities; and (ii) Intentionally directing attacks against civilian objects, that is, objects which are not military objectives……

......under International Law eg Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, 17 July 1998 (Link: International Humanitarian Law - Statute of the ICC) and others, the UN and the Geneva convention make allowances for civilian deaths provided there is a concrete military advantage to hitting a target used for military purposes by an enemy and there is no other way of achieving the military aim. Moreover, every effort must be made to minimise civilian casualties wherever possible. The number of civilian casualties is where the moral choice must be made; the decision on acceptable levels of collateral damage or civilian deaths versus military advantage must be made at the appropriate level of delegated power, even if that is ultimately the PM and the cabinet.

I have paraphrased a lot but the bottom line is in certain circumstances, civilan deaths are acceptable and that, fortunately, International Law, the UN and the Geneva convention do not disagree with you wholeheartedly!