PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 22:26
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny, I was only ever issued once with a .38 Smith & Wesson, other than temporarily for annual range practice, for a Jungle Survival Course in the Malayan Jungle in the very early Sixties. Confrontation was on and incursions were a worry, so although we were still required to go where no man had been before (well, since the previous course last week) we were now required to go armed.

We had much the same accoutrements as you, ie revolver, belt, holster, lanyard, and six rounds. The latter we were ordered to fill all six chambers with. Could we not at least leave the chamber under the hammer empty? Certainly not, you might lose the round! We were more worried about losing something far more personal, with macabre predictions of branches becoming entangled with the lanyard pulling the revolver out of the holster having "popped" the press-stud, and then somehow firing the weapon. The technicalities of the latter action were somewhat vague, but could be summarised as "if it can happen then it will happen". Happily it didn't, and we heroically hacked our way out of the jungle to come upon a tarmacadam road where a Magnolia Ice Cream man waited with his "Stop Me and Buy One" van, as he did at the same time every week when the jungle reliably disgorged yet more grateful customers!

As to navigation I seem to remember the tip was to head down-hill until happening upon flowing water, follow that down to a stream, follow that down to a river, and follow that down to habitation. Of course all that rather supposed you were trying to find fellow humans rather than avoid them, but happily that was more of a problem for the Indonesians.

The post war RAF still had a pressing need for money belts, issuing them to Co-Pilot Imprest Holders and stuffing them (the belts, not the Co-Pilots) with wads of notes in every currency likely to be encountered on the planned flight. As soon as the wheels were up on each leg the co-pilot was out of his seat and making his way down the passenger cabin with the traditional call of "Any more fares?". There always were, for indulgence pax were joining or leaving at every stage. After landing, the crew minus the Co would go off to their various accommodations, be they civil or military. The Co, like some Benidorm rep, accompanied the through pax to their Hotel accommodation (included in their "fare"), saw them settled down, paid for their stay from the imprest, and only then rejoined the crew. The next day was deja vu all over again, with the appropriate currency sub imprest being brought up to date. A desk and high stool would have completed the scene nicely.

I heard that Maria Theresa Dollars were the currency of choice of our "Dear Friends" in the Middle East, with offers of even more if the bearer were returned to his Majesty or his authorised representatives as intact as when he was found. Given that "even more" could be had by simply cutting his throat and liberating his money belt, I don't think that was too well thought out either!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 4th Jul 2012 at 22:45.