PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Bac-111
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2002, 22:10
woderick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETOPS is quite correct, but all this talk of manually starting these things brings to mind probably the greatest cause of Tech Delays on the 1-11 – The Lucas Aerospace CSDS (Constant Speed Drive / Starter).
I don’t know who possessed the imaginative mind that thought of this thing but I believe the 1-11 was it’s only application. In the start mode it’s paddle was blown round by bleed air and wound the engine in an increasing cacophony until fuel was introduced and the engine lit. There followed a brief hiatus and the paddle was then used as a brake to regulate the engine driven generator to 400 Hz – a wonderful piece of lateral thinking.
Many will recall the rising frequency growl of a Spey being wound up by this thing followed by the screech of tortured metal as the drive sheared. The opening of the Fwd door and deployment of the Airstairs to allow the Captain to return to the Terminal and call home for assistance from MAN or LGW.

My other vivid memory is of a 518 at BHX, 0200hrs, -5 deg, February, 118 golfers on their way to AGP, absolutely full of clubs, pax, and fuel and a wet (water injection) take-off from the threshold that was close to the terminal (I think it’s changed now) Ahh the noise !
LOUD AND PROUD that’s the 1-11