PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobo and CPU recommendation, please
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 20:33
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At last I can raise my head from the distractions of earning a crust.
Sorry for the necessary radio silence, and thank you for all the comments and advice.

mixture - The GeForce 7600GT graphics card is basic but does everything I need as a non-gamer and the image processing software does not support offloading to the GPU anyway - though I like that you thought of this, thank you.

My W7 x64 Pro licence is not OEM - it is a System Builder licence that I purchased for a hundred quid via Amazon. I will try to ask nicely that it be allowed on the new mobo, but if not will of course have to accept paying for a replacement.

Interestingly given Spitoon's comment, I've since had several personal recommendations to go with a Gigabyte motherboard. One of these recommendations was specifically for their Z77-D3H on the basis of its bang for the buck. I then followed up Milo Minderbinder's suggestion to contact DVC - and blow me if they didn't recommend exactly the same motherboard. They also recommended the i5-3550 3.3Ghz quad core CPU, but I've had another system builder and a digital photographer instead recommend the i5-3570K 3.4Ghz CPU, the K indicating "designed for overclocking" with up to 4.4Ghz being commonplace. The software I use supports multithreading and the indications are that I will get the massive performance increase for the task in hand that I seek if I go down this route.

Armed with this information I did some browsing and found
this this
bundle that appears to be competitively priced especially as it includes 8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600Mhz RAM and a decent cooler.

The price is considerably less that DVC's quote for the lower-spec i5, only 4GB RAM, and without CPU cooler. Comments welcome before I see what room exists for negotiation!

Cheers,
TLXV

Last edited by The late XV105; 4th Jul 2012 at 20:33.