PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow - I Flew Emirates Yesterday
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 20:09
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, let's clarify one very important point here. Nobody is forced to work in the UAE. The 'slaves' that you refer to are mainly unskilled labourers, mostly from rural India, Bangladesh and Nepal. They come out of desperation to earn a wage to provide food for families back home. Most earn no more than 150 pounds a month. They accept this because employment opportunities back home are non existent. What jobs are available to them are paid at around $2 per day. Maybe some feel that Arabs exploit that fact. Unfortunately, some do. What is sad, however, is that Countries like India, a nuclear state with one of the highest number of millionaires in the World and Bangladesh, the most corrupt Country in the World, care less of their own people than the Middle East.

We can't change the mechanics of poverty and whilst we may find it unpalatable at times, the fact is that there will always be those that have and those that don't. Having lived here for 10 years, I find it easier to accept than when I first arrived. It doesn't make it right, but that's just the way it is. As a seasoned crew member, surely you must appreciate that too as you travel the Continents? Because you aren't confronted with it everyday, maybe that makes it harder to accept. Ever been to Calcutta, Dhaka or Lagos? Remember how you felt the first time you left the airport. Live with that for 30 years and you come to accept it. It does not, however, ever justify treating them or anyone else differently. I treat everyone the way I'd like to be treated and I instil that philosophy in my children too. Unfortunately, that's not common amongst everyone here.

So, whilst we could debate the ethics of poverty to the point of thread drift, I too stand by my comment regarding subsidy. You have no firm evidence to substantiate that accusation other than crew room chat and tabloid sensationalism. The only money EK received form the Dubai Government was $20 million back in 1985 when it was formed. It's been totally self sufficient since then. Fact.

I'd also like to know what the starting salary is of your airlines most junior crew. As you correctly pointed out, try again, maybe?