PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hands off the controls during carrier catapault launches
Old 4th Jul 2012, 19:04
Bubblewindow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think that some accidents that have been put down to somosogravic effect are more the result of poor instrument flying ability rather than a medical event
While I agree to this to a certain extent, having been part of an investigation after a crash which was finally attributed to the pilot suffering this phenomenon and not relying on his instruments, I'm also of the opinion that the pysical and physcological affects can be extremly overwhelming.

Not being a driver I've experianced this affect as a pax during a low level abort due to WX. While low level in a Hawk we encountered low cloud and immediately pitched up to break cloud cover. To this day I'm convinced we pitched so much that we inverted and we're flying back towards our original direction from which we came, still wrong way up, but in fact we broke cloud cover and my driver completed a roll (just for the heck of it). So I can see how these sudden effects can act upon the body and mind.
But (I'm contradicting myself now ) thankfully the guy up front knew his ass from his control column and flew on instruments.

I'll get my coat ,

BW

Last edited by Bubblewindow; 5th Jul 2012 at 05:03.