PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 weeks On/Off and other random questions from Canada
Old 4th Jul 2012, 17:24
rnkelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 weeks On/Off and other random questions from Canada

Good day,

I've found myself wondering how things are outside of my little world so was hoping some could share their views. I'm currently a Griffon (Bell 412) Pilot for the Canadian Air Force. I love my job except for the fact that we don't choose when we move and where we live, a big deal in a country the size of ours. My contract is expiring in two years so it's time for me to look at my options.

Personal Info;
30 yrs old
Young Family
Canadian/Irish Citizen
Bilingual English/French
Physics/Math Degree
1000 Hrs total, 400 PIC (We don't fly much unfortunately)
Multi-Engine IFR ticket Held for last 4 years, Advanced NVG qualified, No offshore experience, Minimal longline experience, No hoist experience
Should be a Maintenance Test Pilot and an Instrument Check Pilot within contract expiry, fingers crossed.

So seeing as my priority is to increase my families quality of life by not having to move around all the time, I would hate to make a bad decision and decrease our quality of life for other reasons. Here are my questions;

For touring Pilots, do you find the 6 weeks On/Off is tough on family life? Seems like it would be

What do you think the options are for a guy like me?

I've been thinking CHC touring pilot, CHC SAR out of Ireland, Irish Air Corps and Transport Canada/Canadian Coast Guard (so I could transfer my pension), are any of these even options? I realize I'm low on hours and have lots to learn if/when I switch over but is the switch doable?

Thanks for any comments/opinions,
rnkelly