PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 17:17
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milo
by the time the F-35 is due for replacement the carriers will be due for a major constructional refit anyway, so catapults - if needed - could be fitted then.
But by then manned aircraft will be too vulnerable to use anything - it will all be missiles, UAVs, railguns and pulsed energy weapons
First part of your reply:

I hope you are right but I dread to think of the work involved in ripping apart an operational ship to install this equipment

Second part
Possible but unlikely, my thoughts are that the Aircraft Carrier is more than a carrier of aircraft.. It is a huge statement of both military and political power. Look at the American ship building program... They clearly think there is a future for this type of vessel.

I am NOT saying we can afford to go down this route but giving the EU £50m per day does not do us any favours (oops did I say that)

Peter We
I fear you are giving an answer I would expect from a politician.

Harrier lifespan 1969..

When did the first squadrons of this aircraft go operational and deploy on an aircraft carrier, and when did the last squadron deploy on a carrier?

I do not mean a quick flying visit to see if the aircraft can land on the deck...

I would suggest that instead of 1969 you might want to go forward a few years and start looking at the 1980's?

Clue
At the end of March 1980 the Royal Navy Sea Harrier IFTU was redesignated No.899 Sqn, becoming a Headquarters Squadron performing operational training duties, and at the same time No.800 Sqn, the first operational squadron, was formed. No.800 Sqn served briefly on HMS Invincible before transferring to HMS Hermes, an old anti-submarine/command carrier. In January 1981 a second operational unit, No.801 Sqn was commissioned to serve aboard the Invincible.
An amazing consideration when we think back to how this aircraft performed just two years later

The last FULL squadron that deployed on a carrier might be a bit more controversial but hopefully you and I will accept that these aircraft did not get anywhere NEAR the lifespan we must expect from such an expensive ship?

Yes some modern military aircraft may well last for over 50years but do we include the F117 in that statement and the F-35B is an amazing piece of kit that might be described as a flying computer and we all know how quickly those things get out of date? (polite question)

Is that last statement relevant I have NO idea but I would genuinely love to hear what better qualified folks have to say on that very specific issue as I cannot help asking how quickly technology will overtake the advantages of this aircraft and make it just as vulnerable as aircraft costing a small percentage of this amazing aircraft.