PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAOPA sets out its stall on PPL licensing to the US and Europe
Old 4th Jul 2012, 15:01
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not ? I happen to have a long standing relationship with my instructor. He would not sign me off if he felt I were deficient, and the BFR would certainly be a good learning experience

Proudpilot

We agree on many things You may have a great instructor who is more than capable That to me is what an instructor should be.
Instructor conjures up an image of a grey haired guy with that knowing twinkle in his eye who passes down years of hard earned experience to lesser mortals Sadly an instructor can be the hour building kid with limited ability, hours and experience.
That does not mean that there should not be an instructor plus rating which qualifies more experienced instructors to examine? A sort of halfway house between an instructor and examiner.
Regarding the relationship between an instructor and carrying out examinations as well it is often good to have a second eye or opinion of your flying and an unbiased one at that.
Your instructor knows you well, knows your flying good and bad habits and is more likely to turn a blind eye. You dont go for a driving test and do it with the guy who taught you to drive you need an unbiased outside view of your abilities!
If we are expecting IR privalages in Europe rather than actually attaining and holding equiavalent licences is it not better to satisfy a European examiner representing EASA that we are up to the standards expected and save a fortune in the process.
I cannot see EASA letting an 18 year old with 200 hrs total give that approval!

Pace