PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodwood Ec120 spinning..... Anyone see it
Old 4th Jul 2012, 14:06
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts - open to correction / debate

The EC120 is a wonderful craft BECAUSE it records every mistake that you make.

Hence if there was an overtorque the "Over Limit" yellow warning comes up and the Pilot cannot remove the evidence. Scrolling through to the relevant screen, the over-limit parameter is displayed, and so it enables a very precise conversation with the engineer to understand if the machine is now grounded or whether it can be flown back. There are tables for this so the machine is different from (say) a Jet Ranger in that on the telephone I would hop that an engineer could clear / ground the machine.

An EC120 that develops a spin does not have to be over-torqued to recover - not in every case. It depends, not suprisingly, on the amount of power that you are using before you react, how far you stick your foot in, and how fast you go from current pedle setting to [wherever you end up]. If you are light weight and hovering with plenty of reserve then the spike (from rapid movement to high-right-foot) and the power requirement (eg flooring your right boot) may not exhaust your reserve.

If you are closer to the limit, and you have the time to act more steadily, and the presence of mind to do so, you might apply "full right boot" in a controlled fashion to reduce the potential impact of the anticipator dumping Jet A1 into the engine and giving an over-torque. It is possible that (with appropriate loading / power usage before you reacted) you might not over-torque.

============

I did not see this event, I was not there. Spins can start by getting the wind onto the wrong side of that BIG, BIG sail. Theycan also develop simply from not recognising the flight characteristics of the machine.

The EC120 has a big tail which is aerodynamically shaped and, into wind at speed, this "wing" gives a very large anti-torque effect. When the peddles are level in the cab you are actually holding the tail fan in a "left foot forward" position, so to go to "full power peddle" you have a big distance to move, and the poewr change is not linear (I think). This is a significant difference to heli's without such a Fenestron tail. As you bleed speed on approach in a 120 the anti-torque effect from that "big wing" tail reduces and you need to replace it with fan-induced anti-torque; increasing the right boot steadily on approach as you slow. If you don't control the left-yaw as you reduce speed (being slow on your feet, or not being used to the amount of boot required (eg used to flying a Robinson 44)) then the rate of yaw will increase as you bleed speed - requiring even faster feet / more feet at an increasing rate. The rate of change in yaw accelaration is not linear with speed loss; this means "stay ahead of the aircraft, as playing catch-up can be "interesting").

If you think you are behind the curve in yaw control as you approach then the guaranteed safe sloution - if there is such a thing in aviation - is to "go around". Nose down and increase speed so that wind over the tail increases and brings the anti-torque component from the "big wing" tail back up to add to the fan-effect and the problem goes away. If you are behind the curve in yaw control as you approach then you need to get ahead of the yaw very quickly because the rate change of yaw acceplaration will change dramatically as you continue the approach. Once youre tail passes through 90 degrees to the wind, then reducing sail effect works against you, and once the wind gets on to the left-side of the tail you are going to rapidly spin-up.

Once a spin starts it will usually take a number of rotations to stop it. The spin will be fast (30 rpm+) and diorientating; the spin is about the mast and you are sitting quite some way ahead of that. You will be thrown forward against the seatbelt and to the right right - physically pushed against the door. However, if you can keep your right foot in AND you can stay away from other objects it will come under control.

=========

I have not (yet) got into an accidental "violent" spin in the EC120. I do, however, regularly practice spinning on the spot, spinning whilst travelling, and spin control. I did once allow the aircraft to complete a single 360 spin because to prevent it would have over-torqued. As we came around into wind I pushed the nose slightly forward and increased speed to recover. It was a non-event as I was prepared for it.