PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2012, 12:50
K.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions and Comments :)

What is the full form of an iCadet? How is that different from an Ab Initio Cadet?

I have recently been in touch with a Captain currently flying at CX, and I thought I would share what he had to say. (I am going to also be put in touch with a pilot who just completed the cadet program...I'll post a summary of his email here too).

Basically, he advised me to look elsewhere for a job opportunity as the current package deal they are offering to the Second Officers coming out of the Cadet program is much less in terms of benefits as compared to previous years. I'm not clear on whether pay has been lowered too. Anyone of us who gets a job with CX though this program should expect to spend at least 4 to 5 years at a minimum living in Hong Kong. This is because as a S.O. our base will be HK. It is uncommon and unrealistic to continually commute to HK everyday. CX has closed 2 bases (was not told which) with more to come. Now with housing costs being in the range of $96,000 USD/year, it seems like we'll just about be broke before we know it. Earning $45,000HKD/month = $540,000HKD/year = $69,677 USD/year is still $30k USD short and that's just for rent. I need someone to verify this housing figure. If its true, then does CX make housing available for its cadets? If not, we're sunk. The US is a better option mostly because it eliminates the bonded aspect of the CX package, although now with the new NPRM rule (if you're familiar with it) makes it impossible to get an airline job, be it regional, charter, or major, without 1,500 hrs and an ATP. His last piece of advice to me was to not be blinded by the shiny jets and the CX brand name, but to look at the big picture and decide where you want to work, how you want to work, and how much a company values you. Plan for the future now. Sigh.

I am going to write to CX HR to ask them to provide me with a detailed explanation of the current Cadet Package, benefits and payment etc. I'll post that here when i get word.

Cheers and Good luck

K.O.